When faced with an electrical problem in their house, most people choose to try handling it themselves before they call in a professional electrician. However, you need to be very careful when dealing with electrical wirings and components since a small mistake can end up in an accident. Below, we look at four things you have to keep in mind when handling the electrical components in your home.
There can be situations where the failure of electrical wiring or components can lead to a fire. If this happens, then try to remain calm so that you can deal with the situation better. And most importantly, never pour water over the fire thinking that this will put out the fire. This can turn out to be counterproductive since water is known to conduct electricity. As such, if you through water onto the fire caused by electric issues, then there is a real possibility that the fire could become bigger and make matters even worse. So, instead of water, look for a fire extinguisher and use it to put off the fire.
If you see that the breaker is getting tripped immediately after resetting it, then it definitely points to a fault in the electrical system. This mostly happens because of an overload in the circuit or because of any damage in the electrical wiring. As such, if you keep resetting the breaker, then there is a high probability that you will ignite a fire. So, check the electrical connections, find out what the problem is, and immediately rectify it. Only then should you rest the breaker.
Most modern homes will be equipped with a Ground Fault Circuit Interpreter (GFCI), which is a Residual Current Device (RCD) that helps to avoid electric shocks, specifically in locations that are very prone to dampness like the bathroom, storage room, and so on. And if your home is also equipped with GFCI, then it is recommended that you check it at least once every month and make sure that they are functioning as expected. In case you do find an exposed wire that is touching the electric box, then you should correct the issue as soon as possible to avoid any potential accidents.
The electric circuit in your home will contain a capacitor. If you remove the capacitor haphazardly, then the energy inside them may be discharged and you might feel a sudden shock. To avoid this, try putting two screwdrivers on the terminal of the capacitor. This should be good enough to discharge the stored energy, ensuring that you are able to safely handle it. You can also try to discharge the electricity by connecting the capacitor to a small bulb.
And if you are faced with any serious electrical problems, then try consulting a top notch electrician MrSparky.com.au. With several years of experience in servicing customers across Northern Beaches, they will ensure that all your electrical issues are resolved in a jiffy.